Painted fabric collage

It's the first Monday of the month, which means it's time for a Designer Crafts Connection blog hop! Our theme for February is "projects I love" and while I have lots of favorites, I think painted fabric collage is up there at the top of my list.


The center piece of fabric began as a scrap used to wipe up excess watered-back paint from some fabric painting techniques I was demoing at an event. So the white background has this nice pale yellow and green splotchiness going on, then it was paint-stamped with a foam leaf. The yellow and blue pieces were testers during that same demo. Yes, I save everything because you can make great collages with painted fabric scraps!

I added some machine stitching around the yellow petals, then hand-embroidered accents over the leaves. I sewed a vintage yarn button to the center of the flower and used Fabric Fusion sheets to adhere the painted fabric to a yellow background, then layered that on to a pretty leaf-stenciled batik fabric. I glued jute twine around the edges, wrapped the collage around a 12" square sheet of Smoothfoam and secured it with pins and glue on the back. Fun stuff!

To see lots of projects other designers love, click the hop links where you see the Designer Crafts Connection here on my sidebar. Then look for that same logo on the next blog and continue hopping. Enjoy!